December 2018 Devotionals and Specials
Here is your December 2018 selection of Devotional books and Specials.
I have created bundles of 3 books for you on similar topics, at reduced prices, while stocks last. There are also eBook bundles for books we have published. And there are specials on a few single books by other publishers.
Note that our standard postage charges still apply to the print book specials.
For those of you planning ahead for 2019, I’m working on a Lent — Easter selection and will send you an email about this in mid-January.
Ordering section below for other information about ordering these titles.
Ordering via the PayPal Add to Cart buttons gives you a secure way to order and pay online using your credit card. (See further PayPal instructions here)
As an alternative, you are also welcome to pay by telling us your Visa or Mastercard details, by online banking or by cheque. Email or phone us to place your order and arrange payment using one of these options.Each month we choose a selection of titles that we think you will find stimulating and satisfying to read. So come back to the Monthly Selections section of our website regularly.
Please also ask us about any other books you are interested in. We will give you a price and time to deliver. Emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org works best.
We ask for prepayment with orders.
- Phone us on (04) 475 8855 to tell us your Visa or MasterCard details and the titles you want to order. We will process your credit card payment here, OR
- Click the Add to Cart buttons to order your books securely online via our PayPal
shopping cart. (See further PayPal instructions here), OR
- Email us at email@example.com and we will email you an invoice so you can pay by online/internet banking or by posting us a cheque.
Some books will be in stock. Others will be ordered in when you place your order. These will usually take 3 to 6 weeks to arrive.
Our usual NZ postage charges apply: $5.50 for orders up to $65, $7.00 for orders up to $199.99 and freight free for orders $200 or over.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your requirements as we will need to deduct NZ GST from your order and higher postal charges will apply.
[Prices, stock levels and estimated delivery time for titles on this page were last updated on 19 December 2018]
(Print book bundles at these prices only while stocks last)
We will email eBooks to you.
A Celebration of Life + Redemption Songs + Parables and Poems.
Print books were $65.00, now $50.00.
[15 print bundles in stock].
eBooks: Kindle or ePub, were $24.97, now $18.00.
- A Celebration of Life: Collected Poems. Meg Hartfield. Pbk 104pp ISBN 9781927260661. PGPL (2017).
Meg Hartfield’s poems flow from her deep faith and a longing for a peaceful world. Use these poems in reflective worship services, for group devotions and for personal inspiration.
- Redemption Songs: Prayers for people like us. Mark Laurent. Pbk 80pp. ISBN 9781927260586. PGPL (2016)
“Redemption Songs will be a breath of fresh air, comfort and encouragement to those like me who find that the Jesus walk is a mixture of highs and lows. Mark has shown us a heart which longs for the heart of God, and the heart of God which longs for us.” Anna Johnstone (author of The Jesus Walk)
- Parables and Poems. Simon Brown. Pbk 72pp. Many b/w photos. ISBN 9780958227568 PGPL (2002). (eBooks Kindle and ePub only, no PDF edition)
“…we long for indigenous stories to bring meaning, inspire courage, form personal identity and stretch faith. Simon’s stories and poems do this. Born out of our landscape and our people they connect New Zealanders with the concerns of God.” Alan Jamieson, author of A Churchless Faith
Never to Return Home + A Tent in the Bush + Greens and Greys.
Print books were $90, now $60.
[11 print bundles in stock].
eBooks: Kindle, ePub or PDF, were $22.97, now $18.00.
- Never to Return Home: John and Mary White’s Otago Story. Fraser Boyd. Pbk 204pp. ISBN: 9781927260319. PGPL (2015).
Can you imagine sailing to the other side of the world with no hope of returning home? Mary Neylon (County Clare) & John White (Donegal), who arrived in Port Chalmers, New Zealand, in 1864 and 1865 respectively, are two such adventurers. We know few facts about these great grandparents of the author’s wife, but, with sustained imagination, he tells the story of their early years in New Zealand.
- A Tent in the Bush: William and Jeanie Wallace’s North Auckland Story. Fraser Boyd. Pbk 194pp. ISBN: 9781927260623. PGPL (2017).
Spurred on by the death of their first child, courageous young Scots Irish couple William and Jeanie Wallace go on the adventure of their lives to settle in 1860s New Zealand. Follow three generations of the Wallace family from rural Ireland during the potato famine, to Scottish mining towns and on to eventual hard-won prosperity in New Zealand.
- Greens and Greys. Rosalie Sugrue. Pbk 212pp. ISBN: 9781927260432. PGPL (2015).
Journey with Molly Sinclair through her 1950s childhood on the West Coast, her move to Christchurch for teacher training, drama-filled OE in the UK and Europe, and as she returns to New Zealand in the mid-1960s. This engaging coming-of-age tale sweeps us along as she meets unexpected joys and overcomes life’s setbacks.
The Shepherd’s Call + When the Tui Calls + God of the Whenua.
Print books were $47.50, now $40.00.
[18 print bundles in stock].
eBooks: Kindle, ePub or PDF, were $22.98, now $18.00.
- The Shepherd’s Call – Te Karanga o te Hēpara: Prayers and liturgies for rural Aotearoa New Zealand. Bill Bennett. Pbk 124pp. ISBN 9781720226949. PGPL (2018).
Discover a prayer for every aspect of rural life. 117 prayers are arranged into broad themes: the seasons, environment, community, mission and ministry, work, crisis and loss. There are also six sets of Eucharist liturgies and another five liturgies focused on the bush, harvest community life and adverse events.
- When the Tui Calls: Rural Ministry – Origins and Futures. Bill Bennett. Pbk 64pp. ISBN 9781927260708. PGPL (2017).
This extended essay on rural ministry reflects on its long evolution, its current challenges, and its continuing viability for the future in Aotearoa New Zealand. Bennett highlights some key issues and opportunities for rural ministry today.
- God of the Whenua: Rural Ministry in Aotearoa New Zealand. Bill Bennett. Pbk 132pp. ISBN 9780958268202. PGPL (2005).
Bennett develops a theology of land in Aotearoa New Zealand, and a theology of mission and ministry that may be seen as a starting point for all who minister in rural areas. He flags the issues and developments that the rural church is facing and will meet in coming years.
Pat’s India + Like a Dove
+ Mission in the City
Print books were $95, now $60.
[3 print bundles in stock].
eBooks: Kindle, ePub or PDF, were $33.97, now $25.00.
- Pat’s India: Memories of Childhood. Patricia Booth. Pbk 140pp. ISBN 9781927260746. PGPL (2017).
“Pat’s India is revelatory in important ways, casting light on the purposes and organisational arrangements of the missionary enterprise, on her parents, the missionaries, as real people with individual personalities and on the costs and rewards of being a family in the mission field. Importantly, it is that rare thing a child’s view, reporting from the inside on growing up and moving between two cultures. The self-reflections of the last chapter are a thoughtful and thought provoking contribution to the growing literature on third culture kids.” Joan Metge, New Zealand social anthropologist, educator and writer
- Like A Dove: A memoir and biography in honour of Sione Tavo Manukia. Rubinstine (Ruby) Manukia. Pbk 98 pages, Colour & b/w photographs, Family Tree. ISBN: 9781927260470. PGPL (2016)
What was life like for a Tongan migrant in New Zealand in the 1970s and onwards? In this tribute to Sione Tavo Manukia, his daughter Ruby tells of his early life in Tonga and his experiences in New Zealand, as he sought a prosperous life and further education for his children. He helped to found the Pulela’a New Lynn Tongan Methodist Church.
- Mission in the City: Hopes and Dreams – My story. Shirley-Joy Barrow. Foreword by Rt Hon Helen Clark. Pbk 228pp. ISBN 9781927260920. PGPL (2018).
Read these powerful stories of Christian social service in Whanganui, New Zealand. Servant minister, Deacon Shirley-Joy Barrow shares her inspiring story of being City Missioner in Whanganui from 2004 to 2011. Working together, her team found that they could achieve much more than their individual skills and capabilities led them to expect. They developed effective ways to respond to the people on the margins of society that they served.
Lay Preaching Basics + Theme Scheme + Ten Plays.
Print books were $75.00, now $65.00.
[5 print bundles in stock].
eBooks: Kindle, ePub or PDF, were $37.47, now $32.00.
- Lay Preaching Basics: A Practical Guide to Leading Worship. Rosalie Sugrue. Pbk, 230pp. ISBN 9781927260869. PGPL (2018).
- Here’s a link to an Excellent review in Touchstone 2018
“This is a guide to leading worship that experienced lay preachers, as well as those just beginning, will find useful, inspirational and easy to read. There are plenty of practical tips and ideas coming out of the author’s long experience as a lay preacher, and the checklists of what needs to be done before, during and after services are invaluable reminders.” Emeritus Professor Colin Gibson
- Theme Scheme: Creative Ideas, Activities, Games, Puzzles, Quizzes. Revised & Expanded July 2018. Rosalie Sugrue. Pbk, 164 pp. ISBN: 9781495431654. PGPL (2018)
This revised and expanded edition of Theme Scheme offers you a wealth of creative ideas, activities, games, puzzles and quizzes to help plan, organise and lead your group’s programmes. All are fun and practical, requiring minimal equipment, resources and time to prepare.
- Ten Plays: Short, easy dramas for churches. Revised & Expanded July 2018. Rosalie Sugrue. Pbk 102pp. ISBN: 9781927260159. PGPL (2018).
These short plays and meditations are ideal to present in church. They encourage us to engage with Bible and historical characters and explore important themes. Staging is simple. Few props or costumes are required.
Other recent email newsletters
Click here for links to our other recent monthly and mid-month selections.
Please forward this email to friends and contacts who you think may be interested.
People can sign up to get regular email newsletters from us about new and topical books & resources, and receive a free copy of our PDF eBook Creative Worship Volume 1, by clicking this link: Join our mailing list
Stock list on our website
There are now over 800 titles listed on our website. Click here for a summary of all the books, CDs and DVDs
Specials on Trade Me
We have over 150 titles loaded on Trade Me, many of which are now reduced to $5.00 or less (but only while stock lasts). These are all in stock now. 50 are listed as auctions at any one time. They are all Buy Now only, so order straight away to secure your books. The listings last 5 days, so come back every few days to see a fresh list. Click here for our current listings on TradeMe.
Are you looking for a specific book?
Please also ask us to find any other books you are interested in. We will give you a price and time to deliver. Emailing us at email@example.com works best.
Want to get published in 2019?
Check out the Publish your book with us page on our website, which explains how we can work with you to publish your book in print and as an eBook.