Progressing the Journey:
Lyrics and Liturgy for a Conscious Church
eBook publication details
Published: 23 February 2022
B/W text, 158 pp
Buy at our secure Payhip store
Buying the book for your Kindle eReader, but aren’t sure how to transfer the file to your device? Please order the book at Amazon.com by clicking the logo below.
Also Order from:
Libraries: Order from [Coming soon]
Looking for fresh, original hymn lyrics and liturgy for your church? Want to celebrate diverse ways of being fully human in a loving faith community?
These 42 hymns, 70 gatherings, affirmations, and blessings; poems & reflections, will provide a valuable resource to support your ministry.
Praise for Progressing the Journey
“Lively congregations and alert leaders will welcome this collection of new hymns and original liturgies by a confident and experienced writer.
The songs have a quiet eloquence, their language is simple and direct, and they deal with many of the real life issues which confront us in the ‘new normal’ world. That they are set to well-known tunes will make it easy to absorb them into a singing congregation’s vocabulary of praise.
The liturgies are fresh and vital in thought and language: a useful alternative to the sleepy long-established formulas which still clog our much-changed religious world.
I strongly recommend Susan Jones’ Progressing on the Journey and her deeply contemplated and whole-hearted expression of distinctive New Zealand themes and images; this is a very rich new spiritual resource for troubled times.”
Colin Gibson, Hymnwriter, Composer & Lay Preacher
“This book speaks deeply to me in Aotearoa about the variety of our people. Through these words, different races, genders, and sexual orientations are all welcomed as part of the beauty of God‘s world.
I love that Susan’s taken old hymns and provided new words. She takes seriously what we’re doing to the land and each other.
These lyrics and liturgies speak deeply to me about the God I know, the God I see in the Bible but also in the land; its beauty, the mysteries of creation and those around me.
I wish I’d had this book when preparing services each Sunday. Now, it takes me deeper into God as part of my morning prayer.
Thank you, Susan.”
Very Rev. Marg Schrader
former Moderator, Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand
- Are you looking for fresh, original hymn lyrics and liturgy for your church?
- Would you like to celebrate diverse ways of being fully human in a loving faith community?
- Is your church ready to explore current ideas about God – not just male, not up there, but down here with us – creation, Jesus & theology?
Then these 42 hymns, 70 gatherings, affirmations, and blessings; along with poems & reflections, will provide a valuable resource to support your worship ministry.
Susan’s lyrics, that can be sung to well known tunes, have been used at a Presbytery inauguration, in communion, at anniversaries, for baptisms and for a same sex wedding. They have featured in Pride services, Transgender Day of Remembrance commemorations, during Bible Month and throughout the Season of Creation.
Susan’s kitset hymn ln our world we find delight, written for original music by Vivien Chiu, covers the whole Season of Creation 3-year cycle.
Her lyrics and liturgy mark the seasons of the church year in unusual ways as well as celebrating: questioning, rainbow themes, faith stages, the cosmos, diverse orientations and identities, gender equality, 21st century reformation, interfaith connection, prodigals, postmodern church, endangered species, and the importance of finding the Self by going deep within.
- Abbreviations used in the hymns section
- Hymning the Journey — New words, familiar tunes
- Wording our Worship — New words for new ideas
- 1 — Responsive Gatherings
- 2 — Pairs of Responsive Gatherings and Affirmations
- 3 — Creeds
- 4 — Affirmations
- 5 — Pairs of Responsive Gatherings and Blessings
- 6 — Prayers
- 7 — Lament and Litany
- 8 — Communion Liturgies
- 9 — Responsive Blessings
- 10 — Poems
- 11 — Reflections from a New Perspective
About the Author
Poet, writer, musician, minister and spiritual guide, Rev Dr Susan Jones is passionate that faith be sung and spoken authentically in her context of today’s Aotearoa New Zealand.
During her 25 years of ordained ministry, Susan developed skills in curating worship which blend theology, metaphor, and context with inclusive spirituality.
Her writing has been informed by her roles as a teacher, spiritual director, supervisor and minister. She’s completed a doctorate in theology too.
Susan engages respectfully with diverse beliefs and opinions; distilling complex ideas, making change accessible. She brings a gentle, quirky sense of humour to her writing.
Susan’s coffee shop conversations trilogy integrates years of church, study, scholarly observation, struggle and no small measure of pain, undergirded by authenticity, deep faith, and a sense of the numinous.
Meeting the spiritual and pastoral needs of people in LGBTQI community has been a particular focus. Through her contemporary lyrics and liturgy, Susan has encouraged her parish churches to progress in their inclusive journey.
Now retired to Dunedin, Susan is devoting her time to writing and has 4 books recently released and forthcoming in 2022.
Two sets of PowerPoint Slides are now available to purchase for all 44 Hymns in Progressing the Journey:
Lyrics and Liturgy for a Conscious Church
by Susan Jones
Save time by copying and pasting the slides into your worship slideshow.
Forthcoming and recent books by Susan Jones
Wherever You Are, You Are On The Journey: Conversations in a Coffee Shop Book 1
Do you feel there is more to Christian faith than is told on Sundays? Are you questioning whether the firmly held beliefs you grew up with are going to be useful in the next stage of your life?
Don’t panic! You have simply reached a transition point in your faith journey.
Hope and her minister/mentor Susan chat about deepening & re-enchanting faith at their local café. What will Hope do next?
Click for Print books and eBooks
We’re All Equally Human: Conversations in a Coffee Shop Book 2
Charity, a young lesbian church goer, attends her church’s national conference, and finds herself hurt and upset by the swirl of the ‘gay debate’ in the Church. She comes home puzzled and worried.
Charity and her minister plunge into coffee shop conversations about this issue.
Being Woman in the World: Conversations in a Coffee Shop Book 3
Faith’s weekly coffee bar conversations with her minister explore the Feminine – in psychology and theology, women in biblical texts, roles in church and society, God and gender, women and spirituality. They cover the range!
communion otherness inclusive; congregational hymns; progressive liturgy for living; worship hymnal; worship resources; LGBT Christian liturgies; church seasons sacred earth
- HRCL Christian liturgy, prayerbooks and hymnals…
- HRLD Prayers and liturgical material
- HRCV4 Christian aspects of sexuality, gender and relationships
- AVQ Musical scores, lyrics and libretti…
- AVQS Songbooks
- HRCL2 Christian hymnals
- HRCS Christian spirituality and religious experience…
- HRCV Christian life and practice…
- HRCM Christian theology
- 5S Of specific Gay and Lesbian interest…
- MUS021000 MUSIC / Religious / Hymns
- REL055020 RELIGION / Christian Rituals & Practice / Worship & Liturgy
- REL074000 RELIGION / Christian Ministry / Pastoral Resources
- MUS048000 MUSIC / Religious / General
- MUS048010 MUSIC / Religious / Christian
- MUS009000 MUSIC / Religious / Contemporary Christian
- REL012000 RELIGION / Christian Living / General
- REL012020 RELIGION / Christian Living / Devotional
- REL012070 RELIGION / Christian Living / Personal Growth
- REL012080 RELIGION / Christian Living / Prayer
- REL012110 RELIGION/ Christian Living / Social Issues
- REL097000 RELIGION / Christianity / Presbyterian
- REL105000 RELIGION / Sexuality & Gender Studies
- QRVJ1 Worship, rites, ceremonies and rituals
- QRVJ Prayers and liturgical material
- AVLK Sacred and religious music
- QRVS3 Religious ministry and clergy
- 5HPY Other religious holidays, festivals or celebrations
- AVQ Musical scores, lyrics and libretti
- JBSJ LGBTQ+ / Gay and Lesbian Studies
- QRMF Christianity: sacred texts and revered writings
- QRM Christianity
- QRMP Christian life and practice
- QRMB33 Calvinist, Reformed and Presbyterian Churches