Growing in Age and Wisdom
By Anne Millar
Published: 29 June 2013
Words: 23,434; 110pp (approximate)
ePub ISBN: 9781927260029
Mobi (Kindle) ISBN: 9780958268271
Buy at our secure Payhip store
After paying for your eBook/s you will be provided with links on screen to download them immediately. You will also receive an email link to download them later.
Buying the book for your Kindle eReader, but aren’t sure how to transfer the file to your device? Please order the book at Amazon.com by clicking the logo below.
Also Order From:
Libraries: Order here
Print edition available: Click here.
Anne Millar provides encouragement for older people in these inspirational reflections on the meaning and purpose found in growing older.
These short, readable articles are grouped into broad topics of:
- Making Meaning
- Health and Harmony
- Relationships and Realities
- Edges and Endings
- Seasons and Stages
This book will be welcomed by:
- Older people
- Those who work with and care for older people
- Academic institutions.
Through her writing and work as a nurse, counsellor, and her pastoral ministry, Anne Millar has given comfort and hope to many people.
These articles were originally published in Touchstone (the newspaper of the Methodist Church of New Zealand) and the book is thoughtfully ordered and graced with poems and photos.
“The simple beauty and depth of being in relation to those around us and our environment unfolds. Anne’s words convey the essence of interdependence and its centrality in faith, life and death. The underlying importance of embracing the life we have is lovingly presented through the many cameos. Presbyterian Support Upper South Island is honoured to be associated with Anne, her work and this book.” Vaughan Milner, Chief Executive, Presbyterian Support Upper South Island (2009)
From the Introduction
“Society’s attitudes to ageing have tended to relegate older people to the periphery of society with the label the elderly. Myths, stereotypes and negative attitudes have been very insidious and damaging, and they have contributed to many injustices.
Justice, love and compassion are part of the heritage I claim as a Christian. At its best, this heritage is about the dignity, worth and value of all people, whatever their age, gender, ethnicity or culture. My offerings in writing have hopefully been a small contribution to these values.
A deeper understanding of people through all the stages of ageing is needed. Many older people face the greatest challenges of their lives. Equally important is the need to encourage people to value and respect themselves and their roles in families and society. There are choices to be made along the way and people have to take responsibility for their choices about life, relationships and participation.
Wise and visionary older people have made a lasting contribution to humankind through the ages. History is being written now as older people develop their wisdom and skills and search for ways to make a difference in the world.”
Title and Copyright
- Celebrate the journey of ageing
- The years bring gifts
- Growing in wisdom
- Dreaming dreams awakens new life
- Embracing cultural diversity
- The Bethlehem baby — a love story
- What’s in a Name?
Health and Harmony
- Value the Unique Person You Are
- Choose to Have the Grace to Receive
- In Touch with Ourselves, We are in Touch with God
- Keeping Hope Alive
- Good and Bad News About Depression
- Living with an Attitude of Gratitude
- Enhancing Life with Music
- The Joy of Dancing
- Laughter is Good Medicine
Relationships and Realities
- Value Friendships Old and New
- Till Death Do Us Part?
- Sexuality and Ageing
- Add Self-care to the Crucible of Caring
- Grandparents Face Challenges in Today’s Society
- Reflections on Mothers and Daughters
- When is the Right Time to Die?
- When a Partner Dies
Edges and Endings
- Retirement or Re-creation?
- Fearing and Faithing
- Pleasures and Pitfalls of Downsizing
- When it’s Time to Leave Home…
- The Last Days of Living
- Celebrate Life’s Legacy
- Elder Abuse Subtle and Overt
- I’m Still a Person
- Loving Kindness in Action
Seasons and Stages
- Who Am I Now?
- Have the Wisdom to Remember
- Wintering with Courage
- Butterflies Emerge from Cocoons of Grief
- Life’s Story the Perfect Christmas Gift
- Celebrate the Child Within
- Having the Courage to Question
- Changing Expectations
- Reflections on the Autumn Season
Also available in eBook format
live your life well, positive aging, caring for older people, strong elders, live well as an older person, gift of wisdom, live well through the years